“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” – Nelson Mandela Madison Park High School, Boston, 23 June 1990
We have one planet with a civilization woven of interdepencies. This interconnectedness is needed now more than ever.
As a country we’re shouting, but not listening.
Hearing, but not speaking.
Let us be clear: Black Lives Matter.
Today we are reaffirming our commitment to equal and equitable education for everyone. We believe our mission to enable Student Agency through extraordinary learning experiences is a powerful part of the social justice equation. Driven by the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals – specifically a quality education – we want to see students growing up to be scientists, leaders, creators, and engineers. Not hashtags.
We’re actively inviting you to join in the conversation with ways you’d like to see us show our support for social justice in education.
Some proposals under consideration now include:
- Inviting educators of color to future episodes of Magnitude LIVE to speak up and share their perspectives and needs.
- Introducing civics into science and engineering to refocus on education as an agent of change.
- Providing our educators with lesson variations for students who may not have the digital access required to complete lessons in Distributed Learning environments.
- Collaborating with school district partners via Title 1 funding to ensure that students have the opportunity to experience their potential through extraordinary science and engineering missions.
- Hosting community discussions on the topic of the intersectionality of race and education, from which we hope to generate ideas, resources, and perspectives that will guide our action on this issue into the future.
We understand this is a traumatic time, and we welcome our community to reach out with thoughts and concerns.
We see you, we hear you, and we are here for you.
– We the People working @ Magnitude.io
*NASA image “Blue Marble” 2002. Sourced from Apollo 17 images and the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS), instrument aboard the Terra satellite.